Day 349 – Making an Impact

7 HUGS, 2 children, 5 adults (1 husband, 1 new friend at airport, 1 employee at the Eye Care Center, 2 neighborhood friends)

This morning I brought the kids to the observation park at Raleigh Durham airport. Immediately a 3 year old latched on to my 5 year old and they had the best of times. His mother and I bonded over this instant friendship and spent a good 30 minutes getting to know each other. Now, when it comes to hugs that is not a lot of time. It’s easy (now) to ask for hugs from someone who clearly deserves my gratitude. A new friend is a little trickier. It’s just not customary to go about hugging others without getting to know them well. I would love to see this change happen, but in the meantime, I can make it happen in my own little corner of the world. And, yes, she gave me a great hug.

I would say about 98% of the time I can’t possibly know the impact that one single hug has on an individual. The other 2% is because a friend shares or something like today happens. I brought my glasses (which 2 year old decided to stretch to its breaking point) to get fixed at the Eye Care Center. The young woman who helped me was so sweet and helpful. I asked her for a hug as I was getting up to leave. I’ve gotten good at knowing what type of hug to expect. From friends, they last a few seconds and are usually good squeezes. From new friends (that’s what I call all strangers) I expect anywhere from a one second good squeeze to a quick pat on the back. Surprisingly I received one of the friend hugs from this sweet girl. With a big smile on my face I began to walk away just to hear her say, “I really needed that hug today.” Looking back I saw the struggle in her eyes that I had missed before. I will never get used to the rush of emotion I feel when recognizing that I was sent to someone in their moment of need.

Please accept this blog as my virtual hug to you.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s