2016 will definitely go down in history books as being a pretty shit year. I think we can all agree on that. So, what do you do when the world is dragging you down? You choose love. You look for the light, or as in the great words of Mister Rogers mom, “You look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.” So, that’s what I’m doing. I am looking for the light, love, and helpers of 2016.
- Chewbacca Mom – Come on! She was funny! Talk about a much needed comic relief.
- Costa Rica – Costa Rica ran on renewable energy only for 100 days! Next time they are aiming to last a full year.
- Ozone – Remember the terror that was the HOLE? A report was released announcing the ozone hole has decreased in size. At the current rate, it may be fully healed by 2050.
- Sea World – Sea World agreed to stop breeding Orca whales.
- Online Crowdfunding – One million dollars was raised to send the children of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile to college. May these children see that the world is full of kind strangers.
- Patagonia – Patagonia donated 10 million dollars from their Black Friday sales to grassroots environmental charities. That was their entire profit for the day which was expected to be only about 2 million.
- Chicago Cubs – They won their first World Series in 108 years. You should go check out the centenarians who waited their whole life for this.
- Giant Pandas – Giant Pandas were taken off the endangered list. Can you say, awwwww?
- True Sportsmanship – Two Olympic runners collided and proceeded to assist each other in crossing the finish line rather than run each other down. What amazing role models.
I am certain there are many more good news stories from this year. Have a favorite that’s not listed here? Please share down below! Let’s head into 2017 full of hope and gratitude.
In love and light,